Palazzo Feltrinelli

Palazzo Feltrinelli (1898-1899), built to be the private home of Giuseppe Feltrinelli, dominates piazza Vittorio Veneto. It was designed by Alberico Belgiojoso, although some sources attribute it to Francesco Solmi, who designed Gargnanos cemetery, reminiscent of the Monumentale cemetery in Milan. The main body of Palazzo Feltrinelli is a highly imposing block with a rectangular layout. The entrance is most striking, architecturally coordinated with the central hall, which is lit through the roof. The building was to gain historical importance, following its use during the period of the Italian Social Republic (1943-1945). Like many other buildings in Gargnano and elsewhere around the lake, it was requisitioned by the Fascist government , who converted it into Benito Mussolinis headquarters, and had it patrolled by Italian and German guards. The mansion is now a satellite branch of Milans public university. Used as an international conference centre, in the summer it hosts Italian language courses for students from all over the world.

 

Associazione Turistica Gargnano
Piazzale Boldini, 2 - 25084 - GARGNANO (BS)- Lake Garda Italy
Tel / Fax 0039 0365.791243 - info@gargnanosulgarda.it